NJUIFILE.net is the State of New Jersey’s Department of Labor and Workforce Development’s portal to apply for and receive unemployment insurance benefits. Unfortunately, learning about unemployment insurance is a complex matter, with many different definitions and terms that are not intuitive or easy to understand. We have taken the time to “decipher” the various aspects of New Jersey unemployment benefits for you here to make your life easier.
To receive any New Jersey unemployment benefits you must meet all of the following requirements during the previous eighteen months prior to you applying for benefits:
- All of your employment has been within the State of New Jersey
- None of your employment has been with the Federal government
- You have not served in the United States military
- You have resided within the United States
- You were not considered a “maritime employee” while you worked for the previous eighteen months
- You have not previously received New Jersey unemployment insurance (“UI”) or have otherwise had any UI claims approved
If you meet all of these initial requirements, you can start your unemployment insurance application through njuifile.net.
Information Needed to Apply
When you are ready to file for unemployment insurance through njuifile.net, you will need the following information ready:
- Your full legal name
- Your address and other contact information
- Your Social Security number
- An alien registration number (if you are not a United States citizen but are legally allowed to work within the United States)
- The name and current contact information for all employers you have worked for over the past 18 months (this would include the company’s address, phone number, the dates that you worked for that employer and the reason your employment with that company ended)
- A drivers license or identification card number
- Banking information (if you wish for your unemployment compensation payments to be directly deposited into your bank account)
Alternative Methods to Apply
If you are unable or uncomfortable with filing for New Jersey unemployment benefits through njuifile.net, you have two alternative methods to submit your UI claims. First, you can physically go to one of the Department of Labor and Workforce Development’s offices within the State and hand-submit an application. The Department has offices in Union City (for Northeast New Jersey), Freehold (for the Northwest and Central part of the state) and Cumberland (for Southern New Jersey). Additionally, you can also call any of these three offices and apply over the telephone. The numbers for these offices are:
- Union City: (201) 601-4100
- Freehold: (732) 761-2020
- Cumberland: (856) 507-2340
Also, if you are currently out of the State, you can call the Department of Labor and Workforce Development toll free at (888) 795-6672.
- NJUIFILE NJUIFILE NJUIFILE is the state of New Jersey’s online portal...